6.22.2006

US Down

Well, the US has been eliminated from World Cup play. This makes me sad. Like most Americans, I don't watch soccer much, not least because I don't have cable. During this tournament, however, I have really begun to appreciate the sport. I like how it commands the attention and arouses the passion of virtually the entire world. There's something very communal about this love of sport, even if, by the same token, the bitter rivaries spark violence among fans. I even don't mind that the US team is far outmatched at the moment and has to accomodate itself to the dominant styles of the likes of Italy and the Czeck Republic. My hope is that soccer will become more popular in the States and that the US team will eventually cause other countries to adjust to its prowess. For the time being, though, I'll have to rout for Italy. Which team do you want to win?

No comments: