12.07.2005

Canonical--Christological?--Theology

Today is one of those brisk wintery days that I love so much. My eyebrows, beard, and, dare I say, nose hairs froze the instant I stepped outside. You gotta love it!

Blogging has been way to light these last few days; I hoping to pick things up a little once I finish with a little freelance job that's been tying up all my free time. Unfortunately, I'm a news, information, and idea junkie, so when I'm huddled down with work--as I am now--I get anxious after a while, because I feel like I've been cut off from the world that's out there. If I go too long like this, I get depressed. Not sure what this has to do with frozen nose hairs, but there you have it.

On a group blog, I'm discussing with friends--ok, mostly reading their thoughtful comments--the book, The Drama of Doctrine, by Kevin Vanhoozer. It's been a great read so far and has opened wide the floodgates of conversation for us. Though I'm not too far into the book as of yet, it seems pretty clear that central to his Canonical-Linguistic approach to theology is the Christ-event. The book is mostly concerned with reconceptualizing theology as a dramatic enterprise based on God's own speech-act that culminates in Christ.

Without discussing the book's main ideas here, I'm curious whether there might be dangers to viewing the whole of Scripture from a Christologically-centered standpoint? Don't get me wrong: I'm not talking about what we affirm about Christ but rather the hermeneutic we use in our understanding of the canon of Scripture. Perhaps starting with Christ is a given for a canonical approach. I'm curious what others might have to say . . .

1 comment:

jason said...

That's a great question that I have wondered about at times but never really come to any real conclusion.

From MBTS world that I have known, my tendency is to say it is a problem b/c of authroial intent within the OT.

But as I explore drama and narrative metaphors to understand Scripture it starts to make more sense to look at it canonically (which implies christology, I think?).

But I really don't know myself...

Oh, and as I was reading your post I really think you should have said "wint'ry day" instead of "wintery". I know how you love that.