12.16.2007

Our Pastor

One thing that is weird about being back in a Southern Baptist environment is being exposed to Southern Baptist life all over again. Don't get me wrong, I have benefited much from my Southern Baptist education and am grateful for all the friends I've made along the way. I would not in any way want to paint the whole denomination with a broad brush--though I'm sure I have at certain times during the past. Prior to coming back to Columbia, I had almost forgotten about how much the alcohol issue consumes (no pun intended) many in the denomination, and especially here in Missouri. Unfortunately, our pastor, Kevin, has even had to contend with what I consider a near obsession with alcohol abstinence from certain quarters in Missouri Baptist life. Here's an interview with him posted on the Founders Ministries Blog. His gracious responses bear evidence to what a great pastor he is. I can only aspire to be as charitable.

1 comment:

yellowinter said...

just read most of the link. it's really hard to stand against the crowd like that, esp those who are in the position of authority. it is a shame to be caught up in details like this, but i suppose those who are "caught up" probably think it's more than just alcohol. in any case, i wholly embrace luther's "christian liberty." ;) i guess i don't know enough about southern baptists. all i see is those scary portrayals on tv to epitomize that awful right. anywho, glad to see you back on blogosphere.
btw, God doesn't like prideful cowboys. ;p