12.14.2007

Mitchell Report

Yesterday I, along with countless other baseball fans, nervously awaited the release of the Mitchell Report on Steriod use in baseball. Almost every commentator I listened to on radio and TV leading up to the release tried their best to discredit it in advance: Any list would be incomplete; the names appearing thereon would be arbritary; owners and GMs effectively encouraged use of Steriods during the 90s; Mitchell had too much power and his connection with the Red Sox undermined his objectivity; heresay evidence was all that could be collected.

These and more judgments I listened to, but still I couldn't help but have butterflys in my stomach for fear that a few of my Sox favs--current and past--would be on the list, especially Big Papi, Mike Lowell, or Trot Nixon. Imagine my surprise, and horror, upon reading a leaked list that featured of all the unlikely suspects . . . Jason Varitek. No?! Not the Cap!



Thankfully, the list was later exposed as fraudulent. Now I can continue to harbor the illusion that none of my Sox heros (using the term loosely) touch the stuff. After all, they probably prefer HGH.

1 comment:

yellowinter said...

it's a sad day indeed... perhaps this will get people thinking twice about "cheating." yeah, baseball players probably aren't the only ones doing this, but it just makes me farther away from the sport. they are really looking like money-grubbing, bunch of cheaters, or those who try to cover up cheating - the players' union, i mean.
so, funny phrase i read today on politics front: huckaboom and hillabust. where do they get this stuff?