3.27.2006

Christian Teen Rally "Fitting"?

Other than this article, I haven't seen much news coverage of this Christian teen rally in San Francisco. (That might be because I've been holed up at home trying to get some work done.) This rally was organized to respond to the secular values marketed to teens and young adults through today's popular culture. My initial feelings are mixed, but I'm interested in hearing some other thoughts, particularly as my church community group has been considering what it means to act as God's image--his representative--in exile. Are these types of rallies an appropriate way to express our role? Are they "fitting" for the time in which we live? Thoughts?

2 comments:

T. Suzanne Eller said...

These are amazing rallies. They aren't political statements, but rather teens coming together to hear musical artists, drama, and to listen to Ron Luce, a youthworker who has impacted thousands of teens through mission trips, a creative arts school, and more. The protest was confusing.

jason said...

I thought the verbage was a bit confusing to a culture that alread thinks Christians are out to get them. I'm sure the rallies are "amazing" but I wonder if in roads could be made by dropping the war metaphors. Not only that, but to amplify the issue, when we talk about battling culture most people see this as an attack on people, not systems.

I read the article E as well as checking out their website. I think it is probably an issue of verbage.