2.22.2007

Bye bye Schilling?

I know baseball's a business and all but should Schilling depart Boston, I would nonetheless be very sad. It's entirely possible that he won't play as well as he did two or three years; in fact, it's likely. He is, after all, 41 years old--a bit up there for a professional athlete. All the same, who can forget his heroics in bringing the Sox their first World Series title after nearly 90 years. Still vivid in my mind are the truck commercials leading up to his Red Sox debut, in which he announced his migration to Boston for the purpose of winning the title. Of course, much more memorable is his making good on his plans, and doing so while pitching on a temporarily stitched together achilles, leading to the famous bloodly sock. Judging from past experience--notably, the trade of Nomar, seemingly a Red Sox ficture--Theo will be willing to part with Schill should his performance not be great, but I'm not ready to see that happen.

2 comments:

Adam Dube said...

It really is sad...sad how your allegiance could shift so strongly towards a man who almost single-handedly broke the St. Louis Cardinals in 2004. His heroics left them with no will to survive and swept them off the field in just 4. I wonder, Mr. Front-runner, just who you rooted for last year in the World Series? Where were you're mighty Red Sox then?

Sure, I liked the Sox too! I still have the Yaz's rookie card in the same book as Clemen's rookie card. And I was watching in agony in 1986 when Mr. Mustache bobbled the grounder. My enemy's enemy is my friend. Anyone going up against The Evil Empire should be cheered. But to turn your back on your home state Cardinals? That's pretty low, mister. If I had a rubber hose I'd bea.... (let's just see if you can get that last movie reference)

Anonymous said...

sox schmox