2.14.2007

Volf on Iraq War

Oh, I meant to highlight this post by Miroslav Volf on the Christian response to the Iraq War. While I certaintly don't agree with all he says--and feel he over simplifies the modern context of wars (as noted by one commenter)--I do feel that we as Christians should be extremely hesitant about under what conditions we would sanction acts of war that could (no, will) have lamentable consequences. I remember listening to a lecture given by as conservative a figure as Alan Keyes (sp?) on the immorality of the US intervention in the Balkan conflict due to the repercusions in terms of loss of innocent life; in my opinion, many of the same arguments can be applied to the Iraq conflict. However, on the whole, I recognize (contra to many) that many of the geo-political reasons given for invading Iraq were legitimate, even if on strategic grounds I was against the decision and on moral ones I was ambivalent. I am one confused puppy. The short of it is, however, that I feel that we need to engage the ideas proposed by Volf--however much some of us may cringe at the oversimplification in Volf's position--since Christians by the nature of their calling are required to evaluate issues from a unique vantage point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are either with US or against US! US are watching you to see how you side.