1.28.2008

Paul's Prayer (Phil. 1.9-11), Part 2

The immediate goal of Paul’s prayer for the Philippians is that an increase in love will lead to the ability to “approve that which is excellent” (10a). As the word here has the original sense of “that which is different,” Paul seems to be referring to a separate quality altogether, not merely gradations of “good.” The gospel of God as a belief and life commitment is starkly different than any other cause the world has to offer. Paul wants his young believers to embrace those things that belong to this message of grace in a way that their lives are swallowed up by it.

What this looks like, I think, is difficult to quantify. I give mental ascent to the teachings of the gospel but hardly excel at a life determined in every way by its dynamic and true character. As I read this chapter, the section following (vv.12–26) allows Paul the opportunity to hold up himself as a model for the Philippians; in his whole-hearted dedication to the cause of the gospel, one sees what it means to “approve what is excellent” and not be sidetracked by comfortable distractions characteristic of ordinary life.

The ultimate goal is that they be “pure and blameless for the day of Christ” (10b). This is when Christ as Lord comes to execute judgment and vindication, whatever the case may be. As salvation has become synonymous with heaven and thus rescue from this world in many Christian formulations, it is easy to overlook the emphasis on God’s glorification in us, and to focus simply on ourselves . Paul points out, however, that blamelessness begins and ends with God: (A) The attitudes and actions that typify it come about only as a result of Jesus’ prior and continued work (11a), and (B) the objective of such a transformed life is glory and praise quite appropriately being given to God (11b); after all, God is the one who initiated the “good work” in their lives (6).

Paul’s prayer in Philippians 1.9–11 provides a good snapshot of the life transformed by God’s work in the gospel. I’m not sure it completely describes me, as I cannot honestly say my affections are whole-heartedly directed toward God-honoring pursuits; nor can I say a driving force in my life is seeking to be found blameless when Christ appears again. And while I can acknowledge that whatever good springs forth from my life is solely attributable to Jesus’ work, I am more likely to want to leverage that as credit in my favor than to perceive it as fruits produced for the glory of God. I fall far short. I can only hope that one day I’m able to mimic Paul’s attitude expressed in his hope that “now as always Christ will be honored in my body” (1:20).

No comments: