2.25.2008

Academy Awards

Today's bible class went halfway okay. I just cannot understand these kids. Somedays they're rowdy, others indifferent, and still others attentive (to a point). It doesn't seem to matter how much I prepare; the result is always unpredictable. All I can do is thank God when class goes as smoothly as it did today.

We caught only a little of the Oscars last night--and that's not a bad thing. I will say, though, that I'm pleased with a couple results. Granted, I didn't actually watch There Will Be Blood, but I'm glad nevertheless that Daniel Day-Lewis won an award. I think he's a terrific actor and he has starred in two of my all-time favorite films: Last of the Mohicans (which I will argue--unpopularly--is better than Braveheart) and In the Name of the Father. I could watch these movies over and over again. They are both so emotionally compelling.

Also, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova won for their song "Falling Slowly" in the terrific movie, Once, which I posted about a while back. Poor Marketa--she got cut off by the music just as she was beginning to follow up Hansard's remarks with a "thank you" or two of her own. P. and I were so happy with this win that we went on iTunes and bought the whole soundtrack to the movie. See the film if you haven't.

No comments: