11.15.2005

The New York Times: The Gray Lady or The White Witch?

Ok, I keep trying to give The New York Times the benefit of the doubt. Some people I know and some bloggers either won't read it at all anymore or can't find anything at all positive to say about its coverage. I, however, read it fairly often, though, admittedly, mostly the online edition. And I a actually like the articles most of the time, especially since I'm able to accept the bias inherent in most of the reporting and move past it.

This article on C.S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles, however, is trying even my patience. At least try to be subtle in your disdain. I mean, come on! C.S. Lewis' views and the value of his literature, both literary and philosophical, are fair game. There is a point to this article's view that the Chronicles' metaphors aren't disguished very well, but the books were, after all, designed to be children's books first and foremost. Anyway, McGrath goes beyond credible critique and engages in shameless ad hominem attacks.

(hat tip: Double Toothpicks )

No comments: