11.16.2005

On Freedom

My father-in-law should be pleased by Bush's recent praise for Taiwan as a "model of freedom." I remember how, prior to the 2004 presidential election, certain members of the Taiwanese community where my in-laws live were urging support for Kerry, since Secretary of State Powell allegedly made comments undermining the U.S.'s formal commitment to defend Taiwan in case of an attack on the island. It must be conceded that Bush lauded China for progress on a number of fronts, but you have to hand it to the president for so bluntly endorsing Taiwan's open and free governance.

Underlying Bush's praise is his belief that all individuals, regardless of ethnicity or nationality, yearn for freedom and do so because it's an inherent right. We know what happens when this "right of freedom" runs up against an oppressive government or other dictatorial-type force--conflict and usually suppression. When political freedom is achieved, on the other hand, what results is generally a positive state of affairs for those who value human dignity and choice.

What I've found, however, is that freedom is often the door through which I enter into slavery. I'm free to do what I want, but I act in accordance with who I am. Unfortunately, while I am hopefully becoming more like the Christ whom I follow, I'm reminded regularly that left to my own devices, I'm the anti-Christ.

But about freedom, how much of our life's actions, upon reflection, are consciously or unconsciously enabled by it? What is the goal of that freedom? Or is freedom an end in itself? At the end of the day, am I to be joyful that I have lived as I wanted to? Is this fulfillment? If freedom is, as George Bush seems to believe, the inherent right of man (implied: given by God), what is it's purpose? So we aren't determined robots, as some would argue? I'm interested in hearing personal reflections, deep thoughts, etc. We don't like restrictions to our freedoms, but does our use of freedom bear testimony to its greatness as a right?

6 comments:

jason said...

Eric...err...Alyosha this is a great paragraph:

"What I've found, however, is that freedom is often the door through which I enter into slavery. I'm free to do what I want, but I act in accordance with who I am. Unfortunately, while I am hopefully becoming more like the Christ whom I follow, I'm reminded regularly that left to my own devices, I'm the anti-Christ."

What a great observation about the life of freedom. This seems to be far reaching when I think about how many of our "freedoms" end up ruining life when we live in the extremes (alcoholism, sex, capitalism, consumerism, etc, etc).

Greg said...

What I find interesting about freedom is that so often I find myself wanting to set more and more rules for myself. I have all these freedoms to do things and yet I can't handle the outcome of misusing this freedom so I attempt to place a tighter governance on myself. For example, TV, World of Warcraft, and many other things are addictive to me, to the point of keeping me from doing things meaningful so I continually clamp down on them or don't do them at all. So going along with what Jason said, sometimes I wish we had even more rules placed on us than we have now. I have often been called a legalistic by friends and I think that's true to an extent because I think guidelines and boundaries help us to remain free of certain pain (although pain is often a good thing but for a different discussion). What's funny to me is that people often gripe about a taking away of their freedoms and yet they a) brought it on themselves and b) the taking away was actually beneficial. For example, what if I spent all day at work typing on friends blogs and never got any work done. My boss takes my internet away. Do I get pissed or become thankful for him helping me to stay on track?

Greg said...

i didnt mean Jason was saying we should institute more rules... sorry for any confusion on that, I was just expanding in my own direction on what he said.

Nate said...

i appreciate the freedom to insult greg and question whether one could state that the freedom (extreme freedom) of capitalism can really be said to ruin life

jason said...

Surely it must be said that the misuse of freedom comes at the hands of those who abuse it. So for sure, alcohol (for instance) is not a horrible thing in and of itself but what alcoholism brings is.

With that, capitalism is a great opportunity to help the world (how many corporations really think like this though) but oftentimes the consumerism that it brings with it (while certainly fostered in a greedy heart of individuals and not in capitalism per se) is just as ugly.

It is really difficult to see, especially at this time of year, how the rampant consumerism that is found the Western world is a good and positive and valuable thing.

So yes, I agree, people are what make consumerism happen. But isn't there something to the idea of systemic evil? I think there is.

Nate said...

With that, capitalism is a great opportunity to help the world (how many corporations really think like this though) but oftentimes the consumerism that it brings with it (while certainly fostered in a greedy heart of individuals and not in capitalism per se) is just as ugly.
The beauty of capitalism is that it is a system that a does not need a corporation to have altruistic motives. The greedy heart is ugly. What capitalism contributes is allowing a greedy heart access to more, thus increasing the temptation to be greedy. However, given how capitalism has brought the Western world out of poverty (not completely but radically so from pre-capitalist standards) one would be hard pressed to vilify consumerism on par with starvation brought on by extreme poverty.

So yes, I agree, people are what make consumerism happen. But isn't there something to the idea of systemic evil? I think there is.
There most certainly is much to the validity of systemic evil. Luckily for the capitalist capitalism is not systemically evil.