9.23.2006

Beer Update

So, P. and I made our bi-monthly trip to Marty's Liquor and Fine Foods last night. As it was the eve of my b-day, the missus let me choose the beverage. She, of course, was hoping I'd opt for the Belgian Lefe that was on sale--a fine choice by any standards--but I had my eye on the Bavarian Dobbelbock from Ayinger called Celebrator. I had had a brew from Ayinger before (a lager, as I recall) at my favorite area beer bar, The Publick House, but I had never tried this offering. The slightly metallic taste that greeted my palate I choose to attribute to the beer's having sat on the store shelf for a lengthy period of time (the bottles were dusty). The finish, however, was terrific. And yes, I did keep the ram.


Lest anyone think that I'm a selfish ogre when it comes to beer selection, let me hasten to add that on a previous trip to Marty's, P. had chosen the beer, and in so doing had significantly bolstered her credibility. She chose a lager produced by Christian Moerlein, a brewery of which we were unaware until then. It turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Here I am enjoying a sip in my prized Dogfish Head (another fine outfit, IMO) mug.

Of course, I had to get an old favorite of mine while I was there--Mackeson XXX Stout. Several reviewers at the Beer Advocate seem not to be impressed with this libation, but it holds a fond place in my (beer) gut. I was introduced to this brew while in college; it was featured as part of Old Chicago's Around the World Beer Tour. Here I am enjoying the dark substance in my Guinness beer mug via St. James Gate, Dublin.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

jason said...

it's official...you're a jerk. What kind of person just goes around freely posting about their beer selections when there are people out their stifled by the man and unable to partake?

do you have no consideration for your less fortunate friends.

BTW, happy birthday. Always forgetting when birthdays are. Don't feel bad I forget my own mother's!

yellowinter said...

you're becoming quite the beer connoisseur, mr. m. metallic taste doesn't sound too great to me, but then again, i'm no beer drinker. you must take my hubs to the publick house. he's been dying to go.
happy birthday~

Resa said...

Wow, I never knew you two were such beer connoisseurs! We'll all have to go to the Public House together, although do they serve good pub food? Obviously I can't partake of any alcoholic beverages at this time, but I still think it'd be a fun time :)

Anonymous said...

A very good "ordinary" beer is Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Also try Pumpkin Ale by blue moon.

Options are limited in WP